Implementing Asymmetric ESS

Hi,

I am implementing ManagedAsymmetricEss using custom battery and Kaco Blueplanet Gridsave92. Since Kaco implements Symmetric Battery Inverter nature, I am unable to get ActivePowerL1 ~ L3 from it.

I get Value for Channel [ess0/ActivePowerL1] is invalid.

I have tried to enable Sunspec Model 113, to get current and voltages of each phases, then multiply them with cosphi (not yet) to get individual phase powers.

I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this and how to map these functions to ess0/ActivePowerL1 ~ L3 channels.

Thanks
Regards

Hi Hafiz,

KACO Blueplanet Gridsave92 is implemented as a SymmetricEss, because it only allows setting a ‘Sum’ power and not individual phases.

In your case you don’t actually have to implement an ESS, but rather a Battery and combine it with a ESS Generic Managed Symmetric and Battery-Inverter KACO blueplanet gridsave.

You only need to implement a Battery Component for your custom battery.

Maybe this thread answers some questions also:

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your quick response.

Actually I am trying to use controller balancing cosphi. It doesn’t work with ManagedSymmetricEss. That is why I am implementing ManagedAsymmetricEss.

Regards

As far as I know KACO only provides a W_SET_PCT register in SunSpec block S64201. This only allows setting a Set-Point for all three phases. See the implementation here:

How do you set asymmetric Set-Points to the KACO? Are there any other Registers you know of?

Regards,
Stefan

1 Like

Hi Stefan,

I don’t think there’s any other Modbus register of KACO available to set individual phase powers.
Actually we got into a confusion because we used peakshavigng asymmetric controller with kaco and it worked. Then I found that it just multiplies that power by 3.

Anyways, could you suggest some solution plz or we have to change the inverter?

Thanks
Regards
Hafiz

Yes, this is in fact a workaround we use in production systems e.g. with asymmetric electric vehicle charging stations

I don’t know of any battery inverter that is able to have asymmetric set-points. That’s also due to the legislation here in Germany, that is unfortunately very restrictive with asymmetric power output of energy storage systems. We used to have this with an earlier product (FENECON Pro 9-12), but I don’t know of any current system with higher power.

Regards,
Stefan

1 Like