Support of OCPP EEBUS

Hi,

I recently got my new Volkswagen ID Charger Connect. According to the Elli web page this charger should support the standardized protocoll OCPP EEBus (https://www.elli.eco/de/charger). Currently the system software of the charger is not yet capable of supporting this, but they say it will in the next year.
Therefore I was wondering if OpenEMS is planning to add support of the EEBus standard (https://www.eebus.org/) or if I have to add it by my self :slight_smile:

By the way: I’m currently working on integrating my Bosch BPT-S Hybrid in OpenEMS. It does not have standardized interfaces but I managed to scrape the needed data from its web interface. Is there interest to comit/upload it anywhere?

BR
Markus

Hi Markus,

welcome to the community. The datasheet is clearer about the supported communication protocols:

• OCPP 2.0J
  • EEBus

Both are two different protocols. While we (as OpenEMS Association e.V.) are in good contact with the “EEBus Initiative e. V.” no any protocol implementation has been started yet. From what I know about EEBus the cleanest and most straight-forward solution would be to build this based on the KEO Solution Set. But that might not be feasible as an individual because of the price tag. Direct integration of the EEBus protocol in OpenEMS will most likeliy not be trivial.

I am curious to know which solution you had in mind.

OpenEMS already supports OCPP out of the box and we use it in production with a IES Keywatt DC Charger (source code). Unfortunately the OCPP standard still leaves a lot of freedom for the implementation, so it is also usually not an out-of-the-box experience to implement an OCPP charger - but at least there is already good support in OpenEMS and an implementation example. (There is also the ABL implementation, but we do not use it in production because of some implemenation weeknesses in the ABL charging station)

Of course we are interested in the Bosch BPT-S Hybrid implementation. This would be a nice addition to the existing storage systems by Tesla, Fenecon, SMA and others. If you start a pull-request I’ll be glad to have a look and review your code.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the fast reply. I’ll checkout the OCCP implementation and test how my EVCS can handle this. If not I’ll dive into the EEBus specifiction. I already contacted KEO regarding a private testing copy for their EEBus solution. I currently don’t have any solution in mind how to integrate this in OpenEMS.

I just created a pull-request regarding the Bosch BPT-S 5 Hybrid implementation.

BR
Markus

Hi Stefan,

just read at this link, that the OCPP 2.0J protocol of the VW ID Charger is intended for backend communication: https://cdn.emea.vwapps.io/assets/f43da109-b109-4583-b248-cce6de477117/static/documents/VW_Wallbox_Manual_User_A_de.pdf
EEBus is defined as protocol towards the “Home Energy Management System”. But this is not available yet. Therefore I’m not sure if the OCPP interface would be available for my intended external access.

BR
Markus

Hi Stefan,

because VW has still not yet implemented the EEBUS protocoll in the ID.charger I added the usage of the WeConnect API of my Volkswagen e-up to access the EV SoC, the EV plug state and start/stop the charging processes (so not using the EVCS but the online connection and APIs of the EV directly).
I also added a surplus controller to handle the PV surplus production for charging my EV.

It’s working quite stable during the last 2 month at my home.

If interested I could create a pull request from

BR
Markus