How to install openEMS production ready?

Hi,

I’m new to openEMS and would like to try it out in my own environment. I’ve read much about it but what I didn’t found is how do I deploy it production ready? Maybe I missed something in the documentation or didn’t search enough?
I only found the getting started guide which describes setting up a dev environment, but this is not what I want.A quick look at the github repository tells me it is built using gradle but as I’m not a java developer, I’m a bit lost.
Could someone guide me through this gradle jungle and explain how to set up a production ready system? Are there any binary releases or are there any container images to run in docker/podman?

Best regards
Sven

Hi Sven,

there are some guides in the documentation that explain how to build and deploy OpenEMS Edge, UI + Backend:

Unfortunately there are no binary releases yet, sorry. I need to look into GitHub Actions on how to provide the built artefacts for download.

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your help, I must have missed this.

Regards
Sven

Hi,

despite your help I didn’t manage to get openems to work and gave up.
As we now have our photovoltaics system I would like to give OpenEMS another try.
On github I saw there are binaries being distributed now.

My first try was to download the edge binary and run it “java -jar path/to/binary” but that didn’t work, there were lots of messages about missing requirements.

Can you please provide me with the following:

1. How do I run the binaries?
  2. What do I need to do to configure OpenEMS, are there configuration templates or so?

Kind regards
Sven

Hi Sven,
yes it is so easy :). just run java -jar FILE and it should run with java17
than there should just be an error message, that no schedular is configured. just configure alphatic Schedular and the warning is away.

best regards

Pauli

1 Like

Hi Pauli,

thanks a lot, now it starts without an error except for the scheduler.
Maybe I made to mistakes, first I tried it with “openjdk-11-JRE-headless” which I removed now. After this I installed “openjdk-17-JDK”.
So it could have been the version 11, the JRE version or the headless version. But now the errors are gone.
So I’m a step further, now I need the frontend ui.

Kind regards
Sven

:wink: thats perfekt.
just configure a websocket and set port 8085 and than you should be reachable over this, for the start.
https://openemsuilocal.consolinno.de/

best regards

pauli

Hmmm,

I installed the UI with nginx and it is being served but the message “Verbindung wird aufgebaut” does not go away.
Looking into the network details I can see, the UI is trying to reach port 8075 but on the server there is no port 8075, only 8080, 8084 and 8085.

Where do I need to change something?

you need to activate “websocket” in apache felix :wink: with port 8075 then.

Thanks, I had the same idea just before you mentioned it :laughing:

At least one last question. I want to try to configure our solar inverter (sungrow which should be sunspec compatible).
The felix “bundles overview” (:8080/system/console/bundles) shows some sunspec bundles. But on the felix “configuration page” (:8080/system/console/configMgr) they are gone/not display for configuration.

How can I add a sunspec compatible inverter via the configuration?

sunspec is just the protokoll, and openems needs real implementation. so just take the sungrow inverter :wink:

Unfortunately, Sungrow is not listed for me.

sorry for that, mistake on my side. than it is not yet in the official. so you need to copy another module and adjust the parameter or wait till it is merged in the official.
i dont know the inverters in detail.

Okay, are there any plans to have sungrow pv inverters by default in the distribution?
Or how would I do “so you need to copy another module and adjust the parameter”?

Where did sungrow come from in your screenshot @p.wimmer?

hi @slaudel, propably it is an internal project. sorry for that, but i ll check. perhaps we can make an Pullrequest.
best regards

pauli

it would be GREAT if the Sungrow Inverters would be Pulled to the Implementation of GitHub Repo!

Thanks beforehand!

Also @p.wimmer i wanted to inform you that in the official FEMS there is an Error in the L1, L2, L3 Phases - they are always Displayed in 0es as already bespoke with @nicoketzer

1 Like

@Sn0w3y The issues with the phases should be fixed in SunSpec PV-Inverters + Meters: improve implementation by sfeilmeier · Pull Request #2231 · OpenEMS/openems · GitHub. It will be part of the next FEMS release (2023.6.1)

1 Like

@stefan.feilmeier Could you please kindly tell me how i can update my Backend if i still use “the old one” with the old implementation of the Database?

Greetings and many Thanks!

Which database are you talking about? Ideally for an update it should be sufficient to just replace the Java executable (the “jar” file).

If you are using the TimescaleDB implementation, things will be more complicated unfortunately…

Hello there,
I just started with openems myself.
The Edge controller downloaded from the prebuilt page.
Now i am trying to start the UI but it doesnt show anything.
I got a websocket running and i see it is connected since i got an error when the sinexcel inverter has an error. How do i get the basic UI running? I also downloaded the pre built version and thought that would be sufficient but that doesn’t built.
I combined the UI files in the standard repository with the pre built and got the menus running now but still no standard dashboard of energy flow, battery %.

Kind regards, Sven